INST 310

Art Forms: Images & Ideas



Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Ad Reversal 1





This looks like it is a pretty recent advertisement that could be used all over the world. This is a pretty simple ad, with the baby as the subject. The only other subjects would be the caption at the top and the adults hand holding the airplane. I found this ad in a recent issue of People magazine, so it has to be fairly recent. The advertisement is aimed towards parents who have young children. I don't think there are any "markers" in this advertisement. The subject is an African American baby, from what I can tell, but it's in black and white so the color of the skin isn't supposed to be the main focus of the ad. I think they do a pretty good job making the viewer feel that this is a typical baby, that could very well be their own child. The text is focusing on the child staying strong and healthy with the right nutrition, and there is an airplane keeping the baby's head up, like they mention in the advertisement. The advertisement is promoting healthy lifestyles, and the Abbott Food logo is at the bottom of the page. They aren't actually advertising their product themself, but the lifestyle that comes from eating healthy.


As I was flipping through my magazine, I was already drawn to this advertisement because I love children. But that is the only reason I was interpellated by this ad. I don't have children or worry too much about eating healthy, so this advertisement didn't influence or persuade me to buy their product.



No comments:

Post a Comment